Saturday, January 22, 2011

THOROUGH MINISTRY

Scripture: Genesis 24:19, "After she (Rebekah) had given him a drink, she said, 'I'll draw water for your camels, too, until they have finished drinking.'"

Observation: Rebekah is a model of servanthood - she went beyond expectation to what was needed. At the end of the day of hard work, she is willing to help a stranger. She not only helps quench his thirst, but she offers to give water to his camels also. This is amazing! To quench a man's thirst doesn't demand much water - less than a quarter of a gallon. But a camel's capacity is 10 gallons; to provide for Eliezer's 10 camels requires 100 gallons drawn. She goes beyond what was expected to what was needed. She represents the church, its leaders and workers. God's call is to serve beyond what is expected.

Application: i don't go the second mile in ministry as I see modeled in Rebekah. This is a value I need to adopt daily as I serve God and others. Do I quench God's thirst and the thirst of all His people? Or do I just get by? I'm challenged to be more thorough and follow through with my assignments and service to others, not just patch a problem, but solve it. I need to serve beyond expectation to meet the real need.

Prayer: "Grant me the grace to know what is expected and what is needed in serving You and Your people."

No comments:

Post a Comment