Saturday, January 22, 2011

God's will without God's timing is not God's will.

S-Genesis 50:24 Then Joseph said to his brothers, “I am about to die. But God will surely come to your aid and take you up out of this land to the land he promised on oath to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.” 25 And Joseph made the Israelites swear an oath and said, “God will surely come to your aid, and then you must carry my bones up from this place.”

26 So Joseph died at the age of a hundred and ten. And after they embalmed him, he was placed in a coffin in Egypt.

O- Joseph always had an easy time hearing from God and knowing the plans that God had for his life, however in the beginning of his life he struggled with knowing the timing of God's will and the timing of when to share it and who to share it with. Because he shared the dreams that God gave him with his brothers it caused them to become jealous and to sell him into slavery.

In the last chapter of Genesis we see the end of Joseph's life and how God has continued to speak clearly His will to Joseph but now Joseph realizes that he and the people of God need to wait for God's timing as well. It must have been so frustrating for Joseph to know that Egypt wasn't where God wanted his people and even to know that he had all of this authority, influence, and favor that he could have leveraged in order to try and make God's will happen during his lifetime. However, he was patient and ironically the man who saw so many dreams come true in his lifetime, ended his life with an unfinished dream that his people would not see happen for hundreds of years and many generations later.

Even though Joseph knew he wouldn't see God's will take place he was sure that it would happen in the future, not because he had a plan set up or the right people to carry it out but because he knew that the God he served was faithful and that when God promises something that we don't have to wonder if it will happen, but rather all we need to do ask Him when and how He wants it to happen.

A- I think at this stage of my life I have more similarities to the younger Joseph than I do to the older wiser one. I think if I was sure that God wanted something to come to pass I would be so focused on seeing it come to pass that I would miss out on other things that God was calling me to be responsible for and I wouldn't take the time to ask God when he wanted it to happen. I think I would assume that if God shared it with me that he would either wanted me to see it happen and/or want me to be a part of making it happen. However, we learned from Joseph and other stories in the Bible that God dreams are bigger than we can imagine and if we can accomplish all of them by ourselves or if we can accomplish them all in our life time that we aren't dreaming big enough.

I want to grow in dreaming bigger, being able to know God's will as clearly as Joseph, and having the patience to ask God for his timing and the wisdom to wait for His timing. I also want to be able to share God's vision with the next generation so they can see things come to pas that I won't be able to.


P - God please help me to be like Joseph both in gifting and in wisdom. Please help me to seek you more, to trust you more, to wait on you more, and to when it is your will and your timing help me to be ready to obey you more with all of my heart, with the right attitude. Also, please help me to pass those things on to the younger people you have placed in my life so they can life your dreams as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment