Friday, January 7, 2011

Mastering My Heart

TITLE: Mastering My Heart

DATE: January 2, 2011, Sunday

SCRIPTURE: Genesis 4:7, “If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it.”

OBSERVATION: Human nature is so self-centered that it adds one layer of sin upon another to maintain its own righteousness. This was Cain’s story. God rejected him for not giving the proper offering. He was warned to “master” the reaction to that rejection. Rather than master it, he let it master him, and took out his anger and hurt that he was feeling against God against his brother.

Before anyone can fully rule the earth, he must learn to master himself and his emotions. Hurt, bitterness and vengeance is the human response that must be curbed and conquered. Cain couldn’t, gave in to his nature and killed his brother.

This is a primary human challenge since it appears in the opening pages of the Bible.

APPLICATION: I see myself in Cain in many situations in my life. I was denied the major role in my elementary school drama, rejected as a legitimate minister on staff in my first assignment, betrayed by an apostolic father I followed and sidelined by many friends and fellow ministers. My reactions have not been stellar and I've struggled with hurt, bitterness and vengeance. It takes time. One situation took me two years to conquer. It has taken a lifetime to master my inner heart. I am still in the classroom of learning. I need to always be alert to my heart and conquer it. The world outside awaits my success.

PRAYER: “Focus my heart on mastering my private world as I seek to master my public world.”

2 comments:

  1. This kind of stuff gives me confidence in following you. You have been proven and gone through the trials and have come out the other side better. I'm glad that God has given me a father that has laid such a solid example and foundation to build on. Thanks for the price you paid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool to read your inner thoughts as you always seem so "in control" of your feelings/thoughts. I respect you a ton and always learn from living life beside you.

    ReplyDelete