Saturday, January 15, 2011

Genesis 32

Scripture

Genesis 32:24 So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak. 25 When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Jacob’s hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man. 26 Then the man said, “Let me go, for it is daybreak.”

But Jacob replied, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.”

27 The man asked him, “What is your name?”

“Jacob,” he answered.

28 Then the man said, “Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with humans and have overcome.”

29 Jacob said, “Please tell me your name.”

But he replied, “Why do you ask my name?” Then he blessed him there.

30 So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, “It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared.”

31 The sun rose above him as he passed Peniel, and he was limping because of his hip.

Observations

The theme of this passage of scripture is redemption. God can take what we are, who we are, and what our current circumstances are and change us into a blessing for the world.

Because of Jacob’s past behavior, desires, and deceitfulness has he had started many conflicts in his relationships, however on this night, because of God’s faithfulness and an unwillingness to let Jacob drift away from him, He started a conflict with Jacob in order to strengthen his relationship with him.

During the conflict He changed Jacob from someone who hid and ran from problems to someone who was willing to endure and wrestle with God without giving up. He changed Jacob from someone who relied on himself to someone who would limp the rest of his days in order to remind him to rely on God.

Finally, God asked Jacob what his name was even though He already knew what it was. I think the reason He asked him that was because the last time he was asked what his name was in Genesis 27 he lied about it in order to be blessed by his father. Now he was standing before his heavenly Father and the God of second chances gives him the chance to be honest with himself and admit what kind of person he was and admitting that he rightfully should be called by the name Jacob which means “he deceives.” This time because he chose to be honest with himself and God, turn from his ways, and confess his sin, God chose to forgive him, change him, and bless him. Jacob’s decision to improve his relationship with God also improved his relationship with his brother that he was reunited with after.

Application

I want to learn from the life of Jacob and make sure I am always honest but especially with God and myself. I hope that I will be able to see my short comings and will constantly take them before God so he can change me into a blessing. I also want to make sure that I remember to rely on God and not on myself without God having to teach me that the hard way.

God also gives me hope that no matter what I struggle with He can change me into what he wants me to be no matter how long I have fallen short of who he wants me to be. Also, no matter how bad my circumstances are, He can change them as well.

Finally, I want to have the endurance that Jacob throughout my life had to hold on to God no matter what. I want to be willing to fight for what God wants me to fight for and not to settle for anything less than what God has for me. One area that I am really hoping to grow endurance in is my prayer life. I am believing that this year I will be able to hold on to God for hours at a time everyday or at least until He gets tired of me.

Prayer

Lord Jesus,

Thank you for the story of Jacob that you gave us to inspire us to follow in his footsteps and to learn from his mistakes. Please help me to do just that. Please help me to always stand before you honest about who I am and where I am at and allow you to work in me and through me. Please give to me the endurance that you gave Jacob and please help me to rely on you and not on my own abilities. Thank you that no matter what I am and what is happening to me that I serve a God that has a habit of changing bad people and bad circumstances into blessings.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to hearing what the Lord speaks to you in your prayer times with Him!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff. I like that insight about the last time he lied about his name and wasn't honest about his weaknesses. Also, God will never get tired of you. :)

    ReplyDelete