Saturday, January 22, 2011

S - Mark 9:24 - "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!". The context for this is a father speaking to Jesus, hoping his son will get healed by Jesus.

O - A seemingly strange statement because the father says he has both belief, as well as unbelief. However, I think it represents a good example of exercising one's faith as well as depending on God. In saying, "I do believe", the man is choosing to have faith in Jesus with whatever faith he has. In saying, "help me overcome my unbelief" he is humbly recognizing his lack of faith and his need for God. What followed was the healing of the father's son.

A - We cannot solely depend on ourselves for that is sure to fail. However, we cannot "depend on God" solely and not do anything or not exercise any faith in God. I think we must both fully depend on God, as well as exercise the faith he has already given us, and respond to what he asks of us.

P - God help me to fully recognize my need for you, for I am a man who lacks much, but also to exercise the faith you've already given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment