Friday, January 21, 2011

The Beginning Of Change


Envy
Thankfulness
S-

17 I did not spend my time in the company of other people,
laughing and having a good time.
I stayed to myself because I felt obligated to you
and because I was filled with anger at what they had done.

18  Why must I continually suffer such painful anguish?
Why must I endure the sting of their insults like an incurable wound?
Will you let me down when I need you
like a brook one goes to for water, but that cannot be relied on?”
19  Because of this, the Lord said,
“You must repent of such words and thoughts!
If you do, I will restore you to the privilege of serving me.
If you say what is worthwhile instead of what is worthless,
I will again allow you to be my spokesman.
They must become as you have been.
You must not become like them.
Jeremiah 15:17 NET


O- God's call on Jeremiah was to bring change to Israel. For Jeremiah to make a difference, he had to be different. Jeremiah felt isolated and that he was missing out. He told God his devotion was because he felt obligated. God didn't sympathize with that. He told him to repent of that mindset or he would not longer use him. If Jeremiah focused on his sacrifice, he would be attracted to the culture and it would eventually change him. If Jeremiah focused on the privilege, he would change the culture. When someone looks at the price they pay, they don't see the privilege they have. Recounting the price that we pay is worthless. Recounting the price God paid for us is worthwhile. Recounting the covenant is worthwhile. Recounting the blessings of the covenant is worthwhile.

A- When I begin to look at the price that I have paid, and the easy life that others have, I am in a very dangerous place. I cannot serve God with that mindset. With that mindset, I will not be able to lead. In fact, as soon as I look at the fun others have and look at the price I pay, I let others lead me. I need to catch this dangerous mindset whenever I fall into it. I need to start looking at the promises of the covenant. I need to start looking at the price Christ paid to establish that covenant. I need to start to be thankful and serve out of privilege instead of obligation. God will never let someone serve Him out of obligation.

P- God, thank you for the price you paid. It's your job to look at my sacrifice not me. My job is to look at your sacrifice. Thank you for loving me and giving me the promises of your covenant. Help me to walk within your promises and keep my eyes on the cross and what you did for me. I love you for everything that you have done for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment