Saturday, February 26, 2011


S-Leviticus 19:14

“‘Do not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block in front of the blind, but fear your God. I am the LORD"

O-

This verse can easily be applied in a spiritual way, like, "do not curse those who are not 'hearers of the gospel' or live in such a way that will cause those who are spiritually blind, to stumble".
The spiritual principle to follow in order to live in such a way where we do not get fed up with those who may cheat us, gossip about us, and refuse to live righteously (the spiritually deaf and blind) is found later in the verse: "fear the Lord".

If we fear the Lord, then we will have a proper perspective and treat those who are a burden to us with humility. When we fear the Lord, we remember who we are, and that we were once blind and deaf to the gospel, and we are still working out our salvation.

That's my spiritual answer. But let's observe the context of this verse. God is actually ordering the people to literally not curse deaf people and trip blind people. How bad is that? Deaf people were getting cursed without them knowing and blind people were being tripped up in order to steal from them or be a source of entertainment.

That's mean. A lot of the levitical laws make me scratch my head...until I realize just how many dumb laws God has to put into my life, when I don't live out of love and grace. He's got to make a whole bunch of rules for me, because I'm not mature enough to not fall into the folly of my own mind and actions.

A-

I am going to write down all the little laws that I live by, or put on myself, and see if maybe those restrictions are actually keeping me in training wheels.

P-
God help me to live by your new covenant...Let me not need to follow a whole bunch of rules, but let me live by grace and produce the fruit of the Spirit in my life-while still embracing correction.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should write a book someday. You have a way with words and storytelling. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete