Monday, February 28, 2011

Fasting

S-Isaiah 58:7 KJVIs it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

O- The purpose of fasting is not to add another feather to the hat of the righteous. It is to take the focus that we have on ourselves and place it on others. The purpose of fasting is to learn to put yourself away and to put others first. The most basic need is put aside so that it gives us strength to put other things aside as well. Fasting is a time to exercise self control for the purpose of loving God and others.

A- The next time I fast, I should practically take the time to give to God and others things that I would normally give to myself. Money, time, energy. I need to make it a discipline to fast weekly and do something for God and others on the day that I fast.

P- God please give me the self control to fast and to place you and others above the food that I eat.

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts! I think a good fast would not be abstaining from food but instead using the day to serve others and take the focus off myself. Instead of asking for a back rub, giving one. Instead of taking a nap, taking care of the kids/household so Ryan can rest. Instead of working on my computer (like I am now), playing a game with the kids. It would be a great way to spend the day. I like it!

    ReplyDelete