Saturday, March 12, 2011


S-Duet 23

O-"Who cannot be become one of God's people"

The Law truly shows how impossible it is to live up to the standard God has for us, and the restrictions He puts on who is accepted or not is so stringent, "no one who's private parts are crushed or cut off...born outside of legal marriage...[no one] who refused to give you food and water when you came out of Egypt, and tried to curse you".

I mean, to our American society, these things sound so unfair. Where's the grace? This God is just mean.

I even felt that way, reading this. But God is showing us how we must approach Him, and that we don't live in a "fairy tale" land where there is no judgment for sin, no enemy out to destroy the nation God is forming, and where the people can vote upon what they think is right. This is the Kingdom of God, and He shows us just how far we fall short of His glory, standard.

God also shows His love and merciful preservation, by turning Balaam's curse into blessing, and remembering those who are family, including family that they had while in Egypt, "you must be kind to Edomites and Egyptians and let their great-grandchildren become part of Israel, the Lord's people" (vs 7)

So God cleans out His nation of all "defects", yet allows people from the nation who oppressed Israel to become part of God's family. Such a paradox...

A-

I am humbled, because I am a person of defect and one who was not part of God's people, yet I am able to be forgiven and even accepted into God's family. God uses the generations of the past as living examples for us (some where born in times almost unfairly-like outside of marriage, and could not become part of the children of Israel. Now, after Jesus and the cross, I am able to approach God), and I am going to make my life be an example of someone who does not receive the grace over my life in vain. My application to meditate longer on what I should be thankful for and trust for God's direction in my life.

P-

God thank you for letting me be born in a generation where I am able to receive the blood of Jesus. Let my life be lived to the fullest of the call you have. Let me be faithful in developing my gifts for you, let me display your love in all circumstances. And let me be diligent in guarding my heart. And I thank you, that even though I was part of Egypt, you have let me be part of your family. Change me, renew my mind, and get the Egypt out of me :)

1 comment: